A Farrier's Dream Client

There's plenty of talk on the message boards about what to look for in a hoof care professional. All you farriers and trimmers out there: what do you look for in a client? Here is my list.

My dream client would...
  • Keep appointments and pay on time.
  • Brush excess mud or dirt off their horse and pick his feet prior to an appointment.
  • Keep up with hoof care between visits (especially important with rehab cases), including cleaning hooves out daily, exercise, thrush treatment, etc.
  • Trust my opinion and experience, and follow my treatment plan for at least 3 months before making any hasty decisions. If a horse's hooves are pathological, especially over an extended period of time, it will take time to rehabilitate.
  • Understand that while I do not have all the answers, I will use the resources I have available to best help your horse.
  • Have digital x-rays of their horse's hooves and a vet that is willing to discuss any radiological or lameness exam findings.
  • Tip for exceptional work, dealing with "uncooperative" horses, or a horse's first trim (training). I currently do not charge extra for these services, but probably should!
  • Call or email me with any questions, concerns or changes. I am here to help in any way I can.
I may add more as I think of them, but let me know what your dream client would be like if you are a hoof care professional.

0 comments: